YHA Opoutere is a historic converted schoolhouse overlooking a sheltered estuary with views of the ocean on the Coromandel Peninsula. Set in bush and gardens this homely hostel offers peaceful and tranquil budget accommodation in a relaxed Coromandel hideaway. Accommodation includes shared rooms, a family room with double and two single beds, and a family cabin with double and two single beds, ensuite bathroom and verandah. Hostel facilities include a full kitchen, lounge, TV room, pool table, laundry, internet and extras such as free kayak hire, free spades for playing on the beach, badminton, volleyball and a trampoline.
Special features at YHA Opoutere that your family will love:
- The stunning and unique location of this backpacker hostel: pristine New Zealand nature at its very best.
- Free kayaks for exploring the Wharekawa Harbour and free spades for digging up your own private hot pool at Hot Water Beach.
- Chilling out in the Coromandel sunshine while playing badminton or volleyball or jumping on the trampoline!
- All the necessary backpacker facilities you could need: comfortable accommodation, spacious kitchen and internet access.
Welcome to the hidden beauty that is Opoutere, on the Coromandel Peninsula in the North Island. Opoutere is one of the last remaining undeveloped coastal areas on the Coromandel Peninsula yet is still close to main centres – just a two-hour drive from Auckland, Tauranga and Hamilton.
The Opoutere estuary mouth is host to a nesting ground of major significance – The Wharekawa Wildlife Refuge - home of the Dotterel Bird Recovery Programme. A Department of Conservation (DOC) ranger is on site between September and February. You can learn all about this endangered species while staying at the YHA Opoutere backpacker hostel.
There are plenty of bush walks nearby as well as surfing or swimming along the deserted beach and canoeing in the Wharekawa estuary and Pacific Ocean. Opoutere is also an excellent spot to eat some delicious kaimoana (food from the sea): fishing, surfcasting, seafood & shellfish gathering (pipi and cockles) are all popular activities. In December the glorious New Zealand ‘Christmas Tree’, the Pohutukawa, turns the Opoutere coastline red – a gorgeous contrast against the blue of the New Zealand ocean and sky.
Come to the Coromandel to relax and breathe in the beauty that is Opoutere.
Top activities to do while staying in Opoutere
- Learn all about the endangered Dotterel bird with their nesting ground at Opoutere.
- Seafood lovers will love Opoutere with plentiful opportunities to go fishing or seafood gathering along the shore.
- The calm waters of the Opoutere estuary are great for kayaking.
- Opoutere is on the Coromandel Peninsula where there is a wealth of great outdoors activities to do in the native forests and along the pristine coastline.